Updated: May 18, 2020
If you don't have an instant pot you are missing out! I highly recommend buying one. I use mine for everything. I make soups, pot roast, whole chicken, bone broth, yogurt, and of course, spaghetti squash!
Using an instant pot instead of the oven to cook spaghetti squash is 4x faster, more energy efficient, and doesn't require oil.
Spaghetti squash is a vegetable and it's flesh turns into noodle-like strands when cooked. It's a great substitute for pasta dishes. One cup contains 42 calories as well as vitamins and minerals such as folic acid, potassium, and vitamin A.
Here are some step by step instructions for how to use your instant pot to make spaghetti squash as well as some simple recipe ideas!
1. Cut the spaghetti squash in half length-wise.
2. Scoop out the seeds (discard, compost, or save for roasting).
3. Place the trivet into the instant pot, add about a centimeter of water, then place the squash inside. Don't forget the water! It's needed to generate the steam that creates the pressure and allows the food to cook. Some recipes don't need added water because there is enough moisture in the ingredients that can readily be used to create the steam, but you will need the water for this one.
4. Plug in the Instant Pot and it will say 'On'. Set the valve on top to 'Sealing'.
5. Set the pot to 'High Pressure' by clicking 'Adjust'.
6. Click the button that says 'Manual' then use the '+' or '-' buttons to set the pot for 5 minutes. After several seconds the pot will beep meaning it's begun pressurizing. It will say 'On' until it is up to pressure and then the timer will start. Once the timer is up, the pot will beep and the temperature will turn to low.
7. Switch the valve on top to 'Venting'. Be careful because the steam will quickly begin to release. Once all of the steam is released you can open the lid.
8. Remove the spaghetti squash with caution (it will be very hot!).
9. Use a fork to scrape out the inside. It should come off the skin very easily.
10. Now you can use your spaghetti squash to make a lighter version of your favorite pasta dish!
Here are some simple recipe ideas:
Spaghetti: Spaghetti sauce, ground beef, italian seasoning, parmesan
Pesto Pasta: Pesto, parmesan, tomatoes, grilled chicken
Creamy Mushroom: Alfredo sauce, sauteed mushrooms, parsley, parmesan
Give it a try and let me know what you think!