Updated: May 18
This is one of my favorite meal prep recipes. It's simple and flavorful and it can be so versatile. Today I'm sharing my basic recipe, but I'll give you some ideas for different ingredients you can use to change it up!
1 Pound Ground Beef 90/10 (or higher fat beef drained and rinsed)
1 Packet Taco Seasoning
1 Can Mexicorn
1 Can Black Beans
4 Roma Tomatoes
1/4 Red Onion
1 Clove Garlic
1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro or 2 Teaspoons Dry Cilantro
Salt to taste
1. Brown the ground beef and drain out the fat. If you are using a high fat content beef, then rinse it under hot water.
2. While the beef is cooking, make pico de gallo by first dicing the tomatoes and onion. Mince the garlic and chop up the cilantro if you are using fresh herbs.
3. Mix the tomatoes with the onion, garlic, lime juice, half the cilantro and salt to taste.
4. Once the beef is browned, add the taco seasoning according to directions on the package.
5. Rinse the black beans. Add the Mexicorn and beans to the ground beef.
6. For immediate consumption: Place the beef mixture in the bowl and top with the pico de gallo, sliced avocado, and cilantro for garnish.
7. For meal prep: Divide the beef mixture into 3-4 equal portions in microwave safe containers. In a seperate container, divide the pico de gallo and sliced avocado into 3-4 equal portions. Reheat the beef mixture in the microwave, then top with the other ingredients.
1. To prevent the avocado from browning you can wait to slice it until the day you plan to eat it. You can also put it underneath the pico in the container and/or rub lime juice on it to limit it's exposure to oxygen.
2. Here is study from the University of Wisconsin that found rinsing high fat ground beef significantly reduces that fat level. This means you can purchase cheaper, high fat beef while still eating lean.
Ideas to mix it up:
1. Use ground turkey or chicken.
2. Try pinto beans or fat-free refried beans.
3. Make guacamole instead of just using avocado slices.
4. Add fresh jalapeno or habanero to the pico to kick up the spice.
5. Top with fat-free sour cream or Greek yogurt.
6. Add hot sauce, salsa, or cheese for some new flavors.
Let me know if you have other ideas! I hope you enjoy the recipe. This recipe will be a part of my meal plans that will launch just in time for your New Years Resolutions! Enter your name and email below for a sample of the plan!